Restore backup

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Nov 30 14:30:31 EST 2015

Hi Chuck,

On Mon, November 30, 2015 1:37 pm, Chuck Vaughan wrote:
> Johannes,
>
> Thanks for the reply. If I understand your suggestion, I put the Carbonite
> file *.gnucash.gcm in a Documents folder called "gc from Carbonite". When
> go to GC and hit OPEN, I select the "gc from Carbonite" file and I get a
> message that says "can't parse the URL file://C:\Users\Owner\Documents\gc
> from Carbonite". I may not be understanding all the terminology. Thanks so
> much for your time and patience.

There is a BIG difference between a .gnucash file and a .gcm file.  The
GCM file is a GnuCash Metadata file and contains information about your
open windows and such.  It is *NOT* your data file.  You data file will
have the same basename as your .gcm file.  By default, current GnuCash
uses the .gnucash extension, but you can change it.  Moreover, older
versions of GnuCash didn't use any extension.

So, do you have any files named *.gnucash?  Also look for *.log files, and
specifically look for files that have the same basename as your .gcm
files.  For example, if you have a file named MyBooks.gcm, then you should
look for a file named MyBooks, or MyBooks.gnucash.

Then you just need to File -> Open it.

> Chuck

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745