Cannot use windows gnucash - file save crashes app

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Oct 1 06:26:12 EDT 2015

Hi Michael.

Another user reported a day or so ago about the Save As crashing in the brand
new 2.6.8 gnucash on windows.  seems that he rolled back to 2.6.7 and that
saves fine.

Can't offer any advice about your install/uninstall question though.

HTH,
Maf.

On Wed 30 September 15 21:23:53 Michael Jasiak wrote:
> Hi Gnucash list -
>
>    On my first attempt at running gnucash for windows:
>
> 1) Every attempt to save hangs - as in, putting in a file name causes
> gnucash to hang indefinitely until I hit the red X and windows asks if I
> want to send a crash report.  Setting up a new account also hangs when it
> asks me to save.  I think it's trying to close some old account file that
> doesn't exist, but I can't be sure - I tried to change my paths at first
> install to not use my C:\ (for SSD space limit reasons), and everything's
> gone wrong since.
>
> 2) Windows install data persists even when the app is uninstalled - I mean
> *really* persists.  I know this because even after an uninstall gnucash
> would still find my D:\  file paths - removing .gnucash and anything in
> AppData didn't help; I had to finally resort to gratuitously removing the
> gnucash entries I found in the registry.  Even then, I still don't get the
> welcome splash screen after cleaning those entries - the "default" save
> directory is restored ("Documents") but gnucash still doesn't give me the
> "Welcome - try A? B? C?" screen.
>
> #######################################
>
> Per #1 - I'm running Win 7 x64 (but only doing a 32-bit install of 2.6.8 -
> did not find an x64 binary)
>   - I've located the trace in AppData, and it shows the following entries:
>
> * 21:00:30  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
> child process (No such file or directory)
> * 21:01:48  CRIT <gnc.core-utils> gnc_uri_get_components: assertion 'uri !=
> NULL && strlen (uri) > 0' failed
> * 21:01:48  CRIT <GLib> g_ascii_strcasecmp: assertion 's1 != NULL' failed
> * 21:02:06  CRIT <GLib> g_utf8_to_utf16: assertion 'str != NULL' failed
>
>   - I was trying to save xml only - I did not set up any sqlite or postgres
> backend.
>
> #######################################
>
> Per #2 - If there's a way to remove all data on uninstall that would be
> great - or a doc that describes how.  I've read quite a bit of incredible
> documentation while looking for this (which is great!) but I can't find
> anything about what ended up installed where.  Thinking I may have done
> something wrong at install is reinforced terribly when I remove software
> only to find it hung onto my last known settings.

> I hope to give this a try on Mac or Linux, but at the moment my only option
> is Win 7.   Anything else you need or want me to try?  I'd love to give
> this a go!
>
> Many thanks,
> M E Jasiak

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542