Why are my VAT accounts

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 11:13:26 EDT 2015

Andy,

I think it's important to note that you're discussing two different, but related, issues.

The issue regarding the modified new templates (where a liability account has been moved to an expense account) is one.  This is a result of recent specific changes to the new file assistant, and I suspect that those changes will receive further scrutiny. It seems to me that if one has a new chart of accounts, one can adjust the chart prior to its use to meet your needs.

The other issue (where an existing account has migrated from one part of the chart to another) is, as Derek implied, much more problematic, since gnuCash shouldn't ever modify an existing chart on its own. This issue is the one for which the developers (John and Derek, among others) are trying to determine your upgrade path.

David