Why are my VAT accounts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 1 11:44:31 EDT 2015

Hi,

andy <contact at acorncoopsupport.org.uk> writes:

> The first instance was an old file that was working fine last year
> when I received it. I then 'saved as' to create a new file and sent it
> back to them. At some point I upgraded and had to do a bit of work on
> their books and so got the file back. However when I sent it back to
> them they couldn't open it and needed to upgrade too. Once upgraded
> the file had the wrong account type (Thanks John for pointing that
> out).

I apologize, I'm apparently still confused.  Are you saying that somehow
during a File -> Save As the account type got modified?

Or was the file with the wrong account type newly-created with the
updated template?

> I have since created new files using the UK VAT Accounts template and
> they automatically create VAT accounts as an expense rather than a
> liability. So I assume this is a problem with the templates in the
> upgrade.

Yes, this would definitely imply a bug in the template.  But it doesn't
explain the "change" in an existing data file.  I still don't see how
that could happen, unless somewhere along the way one of you (you or
your client) created a new file or added new accounts using the
templates.

> cheers
>
> andy

Thanks,