A PDF report Generator, Fund Accounting

Wm... tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 3 15:25:35 EDT 2015

Fri, 4 Sep 2015 07:43:27 <9FE7F0E4-DC91-4F6C-931F-5B22418BB1A1 at mac.com>
Steve Alex <salex at mac.com> wrote...

>I started using GnuCash a couple years ago when I became the
>Quartermaster (aka accounting clerk!) at a VFW Post. The VFW uses a
>form of Fund Based Accounting and I found GC through some search.

There is nothing magical about fund based accounting, at least in the
VFW application.

Some applications can be more complex.

Basically your checkbook account just has sub accounts that define
“Funds”. Some funds are “restricted”, for instance, money put
into a “Relief” fund should only be used to help Veterans in Need.
With some help from posts in the mailing list I set up my accounts and
all is fine. It is up to me to be the “restricter”, GC can’t do
that, and the piece of paper (GL Book) couldn’t do it before I took
over the task.

Are you using any particular model for your Restricted funds ?

My only problem was that the build-in reports didn’t look like the VFW
reporting requirements/examples.  All the information was in the
reports, but trying to explain that to an “inspector/auditor” was
futile.

Interesting, you had it, they couldn't see it :)

[snip]

While my approach is somewhat customized to a VFW, taking data out of
GnuCash and creating a report is not, it’s just code you have to write.

I’ve posted my approach on github at  https://github.com/salex/vfwcash
<https://github.com/salex/vfwcash>

If you write code (it is in Ruby, but it’s just code) and are looking
for an approach to writing custom reports, you make be able to build
onto my approach.

I’ve be writing code since the  Apple II days, but consider myself
just a hacker, more of a hobby to me, so don’t expect perfection, just
that it works.

Your tale is good (I don't need the code), what I am interested in is
how you deal with your Restricted funds.  You suggest above that
Restricted funds are sub-funds of your checking account.  That isn't
quite right, Restricted funds should be shown under Equity or Net Assets
or similar depending on your reporting rules.

For small organisations careful hand management is appropriate but if
you're putting it under Assets rather than Equity none of the basic
accounting reports (balance sheet and equity statement type mainly as
known in gnc) are going to work.

I have a long standing interest in this so feel free to comment.

--
Wm...