Accounting advice: No longer tracking an account

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 3 18:53:30 EDT 2015

I have a general accounting question to ask. I have been tracking an account for my daughter, who is no longer a minor. Now that she is on her own, I no longer need to track this account. I am not sure about how to remove the account from GnuCash.

Obviously, deleting the account would throw off other accounts in the books. I could simply hide the account in the Chart of Accounts, but that doesn’t seem right. I could zero the balance, but I am not sure which account I would zero it to.

I would welcome suggestions on how best to handle this.

TIA,
David