[Finance-quote-devel] Any chance of a new source for currency quotes?

Erik Colson eco at ecocode.net
Mon Oct 5 06:28:14 EDT 2015

Robin Munn <robin_munn at sil.org> writes:

> Since the four decimal places that Yahoo! Finance is offering is just
> NOT adequate for real data, could the default data source be changed
> to something like xe.com instead? Or any other data source that offers
> better precision than Yahoo! -- I'm not picky. It's just that xe.com
> is the first result that turns up on Google, and I've always found it
> more useful than Yahoo!'s totally inadequate offering.

Hi!

I looked for xe and that site seems pretty restrictive for automated
retrieval of quotes (even for personal use).

I found this alternative: https://currencylayer.com You need to
subscribe for using the API (they have a "free forever" plan for
personal use), and therefor we'd need to make it available as an
alternative to yahoo.. I guess gnucash would then need an option to
enter account info etc. I'm putting gnucash list in CC for this reason.

Any remarks / other options are welcome :)

best
--
erik colson