[Finance-quote-devel] Any chance of a new source for currency quotes?

Plutocrat plutocrat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 22:54:54 EDT 2015

Erik Colson wrote on Monday, 05 October, 2015 06:28 PM:
> I found this alternative: https://currencylayer.com You need to
> subscribe for using the API (they have a "free forever" plan for
> personal use), and therefor we'd need to make it available as an
> alternative to yahoo.. I guess gnucash would then need an option to
> enter account info etc. I'm putting gnucash list in CC for this reason.

I'll throw this one into the mix too. Same deal: need to sign up and get a free API key.
   https://openexchangerates.org/

I use a bash script with this source (independently of gnucash), to generate a list of exchange rates daily and email it to myself.

Executive summary: You download a file of all exchange rates with the following syntax.
    https://openexchangerates.org/api/latest.json?app_id=<your_api_number>
or
    https://openexchangerates.org/api/historical/2015-02-28.json?app_id=<your_api_number>

And then parse it locally with the text-chomping weapon of choice.

P.