Filtering Date Range in "Accounts" Overview...

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Oct 6 05:36:53 EDT 2015

On Tue 6 October 15 02:01:03 nssimpson wrote:
> Hi Maf
>
> Until last year I'd never done accounts but some very basic functionality
> seems to be missing from Gnucash. I can't understand why there's no way of
> simply showing all transactions up to a certain date. Surely that would be a
> high demand feature.

Hi Nick,

You'll want to learn about some of the reports -  use the transaction report
(and account summary) as a start point.  That will show you transactions from
your choice of accounts  (or balance at a date) with various other settable
parameters.

> So one "solution" is to make sure that no transactions are posted into
> Gnucash until the end of quarter figures are extracted. That's not really
> very practical though.

Yeah, not very practical!  You can look at the balance of the account register
on the date of the end of the period, though (for boxes 1,2,4 at least).  IE
in the box 1 account, the balance at the end of the relevant month is probably
what you want for the return.

> I spent a long time setting up everything so I know what figures to put in
> "Box 5", etc on the VAT return but seems unusable since there's no date
> filter in the CoA. Not sure how to set a report to give me all the various
> totals so any help would be appreciated.

IIRC, you don't fill in box 5 - it is calculated (assuming that like me, you
are filing the returns online, i guess)

I use the transaction report as the basis for all my VAT return reports.
Sadly to get a meaningful set of numbers you have to report for box 1 & 4
separately.

my box 1 report options are:

Accounts tab:  Only the box1 account (which is the collected output tax)
   Filter by: Box 4 account (the VAT paid)
   Filter Type: Exclude transactions to/from filter accounts  (don't count the
VAT payment transaction in the totals)

Sorting tab:
  Primary subtotal  ticked
  Primary Sort order : ascending
 Secondary Subtotal for Date Key: None

General tab
  Start : sart of previous quarter (or set a date)
  End: end of prev. quarter
 Style : Single.

the display tab is all down to your prefs for how the report looks.

Box 4 report is similar - but showing the Box 4 account and filtering to
exclude box 1 account transaction.

Box 6 reports on all the relevant income accounts, no filter.  Period &
sorting options much the same.  Box 7 reports on all the relevant expense
accounts in the same manor as box 6.

Hope that gets you going in the right direction.

Maf.

> Cheers
>
> Nick
>

> --

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542