Filtering Date Range in "Accounts" Overview...

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Tue Oct 6 08:48:09 EDT 2015

On 10/6/2015 5:01 AM, nssimpson wrote:
> Hi Maf
>
> Until last year I'd never done accounts but some very basic functionality
> seems to be missing from Gnucash. I can't understand why there's no way of
> simply showing all transactions up to a certain date. Surely that would be a
> high demand feature.

You aren't making clear HOW you want that information organize, by
accounts or by date. This is really a matter of not knowing what
report(s) you want. The "missing functionality" is most likely simply a
matter of not yet having found the right report, and then learning how
to set its options. The report names can be somewhat misleading as to
what you want. For example:

Let's say that you want a report on all transactions in the date order
entered showing for each the accounts affected by that transaction. In
traditional accounting terms, you want to see the JOURNAL. Well gnucash
(like most other packages) is "autoposting", you enter the transactions
directly from any of the LEDGER accounts affected and the JOURNAL is
virtual. But there is a report that would show it to you.

On the other hand, you might want to see a report for each account
showing the transactions affecting that (ledger) account in date order.
That's a different report. So tell us what you want to see and we can
advise how to get that.

Michael D Novack

PS: All folks who are new to gnucash should spend some time looking at
all of the reports provided to see what they do and how to set the
options for that report. If you haven't done that, premature to say
"gnucash does not provide it".