Finance::Quote Load Times

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 9 18:15:55 EDT 2015

Well. Today when I load GnuCash, everything is much quicker. So, perhaps I was simply being impatient.

For humor and completeness, I looked at my trace file (“gnucash.trace”) anyway.

Wow. The file is 19.1Mb on my system, which seemed to be rather a lot. I assumed this was the result of my single instantiation, since it appeared that all the entries were time-stamped in close time, but to be sure, I deleted the tracefile and reran GnuCash. Simply opening and closing GnuCash yielded the same file size.

Here are the lines right around the “Found Finance::Quote” message:

* 17:44:30 MESSG <gnc.bin> loading stylesheets
* 17:44:53 MESSG <gnc.scm> Found Finance::Quote version 1.38
* 17:44:53  INFO <gnc.account> [xaccAccountRecomputeBalance] acct=Template Root starting baln=0/1

I will note the 23-second gap between the stylesheets to F::Q. That is not overly-time consuming by my standards, although it does seem to indicate that finding of F::Q, is taking 23 seconds, which does seem somewhat excessive.

These lines are followed by sections establishing currency and commodity tables, followed by account/balances lines.

After this section, there are literally hundreds of screens’ worth of INFO messages. Many of these messages—75624 in my case--involve the phrase “Attempt to write disabled transaction log”. These messages span approximately 20 seconds themselves. Together, these account for about a 45 second delay in startup.

Is it normal for GnuCash to execute this many attempts to write to the disabled transaction log (whatever that may be)?

David