Finance::Quote Load Times

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Oct 9 20:22:07 EDT 2015

> On Oct 9, 2015, at 3:15 PM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Well. Today when I load GnuCash, everything is much quicker. So, perhaps I was simply being impatient.
>
> For humor and completeness, I looked at my trace file (“gnucash.trace”) anyway.
>
> Wow. The file is 19.1Mb on my system, which seemed to be rather a lot. I assumed this was the result of my single instantiation, since it appeared that all the entries were time-stamped in close time, but to be sure, I deleted the tracefile and reran GnuCash. Simply opening and closing GnuCash yielded the same file size.
>
> Here are the lines right around the “Found Finance::Quote” message:
>
> * 17:44:30 MESSG <gnc.bin> loading stylesheets
> * 17:44:53 MESSG <gnc.scm> Found Finance::Quote version 1.38
> * 17:44:53  INFO <gnc.account> [xaccAccountRecomputeBalance] acct=Template Root starting baln=0/1
>
> I will note the 23-second gap between the stylesheets to F::Q. That is not overly-time consuming by my standards, although it does seem to indicate that finding of F::Q, is taking 23 seconds, which does seem somewhat excessive.
>
> These lines are followed by sections establishing currency and commodity tables, followed by account/balances lines.
>
> After this section, there are literally hundreds of screens’ worth of INFO messages. Many of these messages—75624 in my case--involve the phrase “Attempt to write disabled transaction log”. These messages span approximately 20 seconds themselves. Together, these account for about a 45 second delay in startup.
>
> Is it normal for GnuCash to execute this many attempts to write to the disabled transaction log (whatever that may be)?

Hmm, findingF::Q only takes 2 seconds on my MBA:
* 07:58:06 MESSG <gnc.bin> loading stylesheets
* 07:58:08 MESSG <gnc.scm> Found Finance::Quote version 1.38

Do you have networked shares in your Perl @INC that might slow it down?
   perl -e ‘print join(‘\n’, @INC), “\n”;’

How long does /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-check take?

My transaction log, from a start-and-immediately-shut down this morning, is only 76K, but I didn’t load my main data file. I’ve got only a couple of attempts on the disabled transaction log. I don’t think that there should be very many if all you did was start and immediately quit.

Regards,
John Ralls