Emacs on OS X

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Oct 11 16:34:40 EDT 2015

> On Oct 11, 2015, at 11:53 AM, Erik Colson <eco at ecocode.net> wrote:
>
> David Bergum <dib at red-sky.us> writes:
>
>> I'm going to not add Macports to my env on login and just add it when i want to run xemacs, which is the only reason I have it!
>
> For what it's worth, and this is really OT here...
>
> - most geeks (including me ;)) use brew (http://brew.sh) instead of
>  macports. brew is known to be much cleaner than Fink or Macports
>
> - I use brew emacs as editor and it rocks :) but if you prefer xemacs,
>  you'll have to stick to macports or fink as I think brew doesn't
>  support it

Gnome geeks use jhbuild.

Gnu Emacs is available as an app bundle from http://emacsformacosx.com/, no fake-Linux-on-your-mac required, and of course the command-line emacs has been included in all versions of OS X though it’s been stuck at 22.1 since 10.5, probably due to Apple’s allergy to GPLV3.

Regards,
John Ralls