Windows 10 and lost backup files.

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Sat Oct 24 17:39:17 EDT 2015

> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 01:26:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: bobo <3daisy55 at gmail.com>
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Subject: Re: Windows 10 and lost backup files.
>
> Thanks for your replies.
> 1.  Windows 10  does not appear to have a programmes/applications folder,
> so
> I cannot find any back-ups made since the upgrade.
> 2. The C/ drive is named Windows 8, and contains historic backups
> pre-upgrade
> 3.  I would like to be able to nominate a destination folder for the
backups
> 4. Gnucash opens just fine, but the destination folder shown in the header
> bar is not searchable via file explorer
> thanks

Hi Bobo,

If you still cannot find your data file in File Explorer, I suggest:

1) Open GnuCash. It will automatically open the last data file it used,
which hopefully is your most recent real data file.
2) Create a new data file in a location you can see in File Explorer, using
GnuCash File, Save As.
I suggest C:\Users\[MyName]\Documents\GnuCash\...

Thankfully the superfluous My Documents folder has disappeared from Windows
10.

Using a subfolder of Documents means you can easily see it in File Explorer
and it is backed up by Windows Backup and Restore. Of course you need to
make other backups as well, say to DropBox.

I actually store my GnuCash data files in additional subfolders of GnuCash
like:
VVV\IIYYYY
Where
VVV is the GnuCash version eg 269
II is my initials (Or a company code say)
YYYY is the starting year of data in the file as I will start a new file
once it becomes too slow to open GnuCash due to too much data.

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#GnuCash_Files_and_managing_a_GnuCash_instal
lation
contains lots of info about GnuCash files and where they are.

Note that 2.6.8 has bug where Save As does not work in Windows 10 which has
been fixed in latest version 2.6.9.

Regards, Chris Good