Finance::Quote Load Times

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Oct 25 11:57:11 EDT 2015

> On Oct 25, 2015, at 12:39 AM, Erik Colson <eco at ecocode.net> wrote:
>
> "Diem, John" <jed at tulane.edu> writes:
>
>> I'm thinking maybe I should install gnucash 2.6.9 on Yosemite (Recall
>> I'm running 2.6.8 on 10.10.5) and doing a clean install of
>> Finance::Quote.  Do you see any downside to doing this and possibly
>> some upside.
>
> Jed,
>
> I'm no gnucash user or developer. I think John can answer this much
> better than I can. Reinstalling FQ however will be totaly harmless as
> there are no generated config files whatever.
>
> Albeit upgrading will definitely help me in tracing the prob since I'm
> checking the gnucash source from git. I won't check history since
> understanding current source is already complicated enough for me ;)

It’s unlikely to make any difference. The code changes in 2.6.9 affect retrieving quotes, not gnc-fq-check.

Jed, since you’re not willing to try the profiler, how about /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor? During the minute GnuCash is sitting there displaying “Finance::Quote” on the splash screen, look at the process list in Activity Monitor to see if Perl is active. If it is, then select it, click the gear, and select “Sample Process”. Save the resulting report and attach it to a reply. If Perl *isn’t* running, do that with GnuCash.

Regards,
John Ralls