Bank account balance incorrect after import from Quicken

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 1 23:47:26 EDT 2015

Tom,

I suspect that what happened was that when you imported your Quicken file, you were asked what your opening balance was, and you told GnuCash the amount. GnuCash then created an Opening Balance transaction to account for the existence of your money. Since your Quicken file already had an opening transaction, however, this caused a duplication. Instead, you should have simply skipped having GnuCash account for your opening balance, since you had already done so.

I believe that deleting the transaction (as you describe) is perfectly fine.

Once you have determined that the balances are accurate, you should most likely focus your attention on determining that GnuCash has used accounts for your transactions that make sense for your accounting situation. Many find that the import causes transactions to be categorized in unexpected ways. These are easy enough to fix, but it is helpful to look for them.

As an aside, Quicken is less strict in its accounting implementation, and will allow transactions to be one-sided. GnuCash requires every transaction to have at least two splits. I used Quicken for 15 years before transitioning to GnuCash 10 years ago, and dimly remember having to clean up a bit.

Also, since GnuCash is a volunteer effort, some areas (like documentation) are not as well maintained as others. As a user, I have attempted to help out with the documentation, and I can understand the frustration at holes such as this. Since you seem to be quite engaged in this, I would humbly ask you if you could write up your experience of the overall import process; there is currently a drive to document the import procedures better, and having a first-hand write up would be excellent.

Cheers,
David