Bank account balance incorrect after import from Quicken

Tom Allred tallred7 at triad.rr.com
Wed Sep 2 08:29:11 EDT 2015

David,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm hoping that gnucash will be a suitable
replacement for quicken which has served me well for 20 years.  Yes, it's
been a little frustrating so far.  It's nice that folks have offered
suggestions but the focus seems to be my lack of understanding of accounting
or some error I made during import.  The only thing that's confusing me is
why an accounting program would arbitrarily create an erroneous transaction.
Magical transactions don't seem fundamentally sound.  People seem to assume
that gnucash can't make errors so it must be me.  I couldn't have entered an
incorrect balance during import because there are no questions like that
during the import process.  It's actually very nice that the import process
is so automated.  Just not comforting that the process is sticking in
transactions that don't exist in my quicken data that causes errors.  I
guess it must be that people aren't really familiar with the import process.
Perhaps my posts in this thread will serve as the write-up of my experience
since I think I've already detailed it as well as I can. If I discover other
flaws from the import then I'll add to the thread.

Fingers crossed,
Tom