Bank account balance incorrect after import from Quicken

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 03:02:44 EDT 2015

On 3 September 2015 at 03:03, Tom Allred <tallred7 at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> Okay, I'm out.  Repeating the circumstances over and over and still getting
> speculation as what actions on my part created this situation are just not
> useful.  There was no place in the automated import process for me to
> intervene, enter balances, approve specific transactions, etc.  I got the
> same result whether I created the database complete from scratch with the
> import or whether I created a shell new database with no amounts or balances
> entered.  I started the import, it ran, I checked the results and gnucash
> had COMPLETELY ON IT'S OWN created the reversing opening balance transaction
> which, as I've ALREADY said, was exactly the same (same date, same
> descriptor, same balancing account, same amount) except that it was a
> withdrawal instead of a deposit.  I'd delete the transaction and any others
> like it, hope it doesn't mess up any reconciliations, and if gnucash decides
> to make any future "helpful" transactions on it's own I'll just trash it and
> more on to something that handles accounting in a more traditional way.

Just a thought.  Could you use a text editor and search in the QIF
file for the amount of the transaction and see what you find?

No-one is attaching any blame to you, we are just trying to understand
what happened so that, if there is a bug, it can be fixed,  or perhaps
the instructions for running the import need to be changed.

Colin