Bank account balance incorrect after import from Quicken

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Thu Sep 3 08:45:57 EDT 2015

On 9/2/2015 10:03 PM, Tom Allred wrote:
> Okay, I'm out.  Repeating the circumstances over and over and still getting
> speculation as what actions on my part created this situation are just not
> useful.  There was no place in the automated import process for me to
> intervene, enter balances, approve specific transactions, etc.  I got the
> same result whether I created the database complete from scratch with the
> import or whether I created a shell new database with no amounts or balances
> entered.  I started the import, it ran, I checked the results and gnucash
> had COMPLETELY ON IT'S OWN created the reversing opening balance transaction
> which, as I've ALREADY said, was exactly the same (same date, same
> descriptor, same balancing account, same amount) except that it was a
> withdrawal instead of a deposit.  I'd delete the transaction and any others
> like it, hope it doesn't mess up any reconciliations, and if gnucash decides
> to make any future "helpful" transactions on it's own I'll just trash it and
> more on to something that handles accounting in a more traditional way.
> Peace out,
> Tom

Tom,
     GnuCash does appear to handle accounting in the traditional way.
Your problem is something else, related to the import of data, and
without knowing if this data represented the data of an IN BALANCE set
of books there is no way even I (decades of experience debugging
financial systems) could begin to try to find out what went wrong. I'll
repeat, this is an export-import problem so you shouldn't jump to the
conclusion that there is something wrong with gnucash.

     Let's take this from the top and consider the data being imported.
You were trying to import ALL the data from another bookkeeping
application, yes? Well THAT set of books presumably also had its own
opening transaction. Is THAT showing up? Also, when moving data like
this you normally want to show everything checks out. For example, that
the Balance Sheets match. When you run a Balance Sheet report for the
old system (immediately before the export) and then one for gnucash
after this import, what do you see?  << I think when you have reported
this to us we will be in a better position to figure out your problem >>

Michael