Tips: Separating personal finances from things parents pay for

Dorel Ciornei dorelciornei at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 5 10:57:26 EDT 2015

Hi Dustin,I am a parent that is doing the same type of record keeping for my son's school.Perhaps some of this may help:

Think about the money that you get as an 'income' for you.
So you could set an income account named 'Parents Help' or whatever. All the money that they give you or spend for you would come from that, so it would really show you the total they spent for you.
When they give you the money, you either deposit it in your checking (or cash), or they or you pay directly expenses.To track what you pay from their money (or they pay directly) is a bit more complicated as you would have to set up a sub-account for what you pay with that money. Let's say you pay some of the Tuition yourself and some is paid by your parents.
The account would look like:
Expenses:-> Education Expenses: -->> Tuition
   --->>> Tuition paid by me
   --->>> Tuition paid by parents
When you pay if the money comes from them, you record it under Tuition paid by parents, if you pay, the money goes under Tuition paid by meWhen you run reports you can pick the accounts that you want to see in the report.When you just look at the 'Chart of Accounts' you can see the total paid by you, them as well as total spent.
Also, the income account will show the total they gave you to date.
At least that is how I do it. My son tracks a bit different, as he considers the money I gave him as an investment so he uses an Equity account to track what he gets from us.
I hope this helps a bit.Dorel