gnucash won't start libgnc-gnome.so.0 No such file

Ron Schnatzmeyer NoSoy1 at charter.net
Sat Sep 5 23:23:38 EDT 2015

I'm making a valiant effort to get to Linux from Windows. I've set up a
dual boot with Mint 17.2 and I'm trying to set up GnuCash to replace
Quicken. The GnuCash version in the Mint/Ubuntu repository is 2.6.1
which is 6 releases behind so I decided to be brave and install 2.6.7
from source. Other than having to install a bunch of stuff that
configure identified, everything went OK. But when I try to start the
program by typing 'gnucash' as the command line I get:

ron at RCS1 ~ $ gnucash
gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libgnc-gnome.so.0: cannot

This is very strange because 'libgnc-gnome.so.0' does exist in
/usr/local/lib. I've tried adding /usr/local/lib to the PATH but that
doesn't work.

I must have done something incorrectly but I have no idea what.
Any thoughts on what is the problem?