creating a printable excise tax report, (monthly)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Sep 9 09:52:32 EDT 2015

> On Sep 8, 2015, at 10:45 PM, chuc <chuc at eastsidetap.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
> I am new to  gnucash and am trying to adapt it to my small business. I have been having a few road bumps during the learning curve and was hoping to get a bit of help.
> How do I create a printable monthly excise tax report? I live in Washington State where we charge sales tax, but it varies from city to city. (Seattle is 9.6%, Tacoma is 9.5%, North Bend is 8.6%,etc. so I need to report how much I have collected for each location each month. I am at a loss as to how to produce this information for my accountant. Any help would be much appreciated.

There are two ways to go. The more correct one from an accounting view would be to create a set of sales tax accrual sub accounts, one per city:
Liabilities
   Accrued Sales Taxes
       North Bend Sales Tax
       Seattle Sales Tax
       Tacoma Sales Tax
       …

You could instead enter the city name in the sales tax split’s memo field and set Sort By and Subtotal in the General Ledger report’s options.

Regards,
John Ralls