backups

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Thu Sep 10 14:50:20 EDT 2015

On 9/10/2015 11:03 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Every time I close Gnu-Cash it creates a backup or several actually. I'm
> wondering how many I need to keep and if there is a way to set that amount
> so that it will automatically delete all except what is needed to keep
> current with all uses.
This really is a "work flow" question.

a) If you do frequent 'saves" while working, then a "keep the last N
versions" may not be for you.
b) If you enter data infrequently, at most once or twice a month, then
"keep the last N days" may not be for you.
c) If both of those are true, you perhaps don't want any automatic
option. Every so often, just go to the directory and delete ones too old
to be useful.

For example, for one of the organizations that I keep books, both "a"
and "b" true, so I delete manually. Disk space is cheap. Of course I
make periodic backups of ALL user data (to an external drive) so not
completely dependent on the backups made by gnucash.

Michael