Rounding

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Sep 15 15:49:39 EDT 2015

Hi,

The underlying commodity must be able to store values to three decimal
places, too.  For example, you cannot account for 1/1000 of a USD.

So when you create your stock or mutual fund make sure you assign it a
smallest fraction appropriate to your needs (and its definitions).

-derek

On Tue, September 15, 2015 3:41 pm, John Morris wrote:
> Hi All,
>   I've been using GnuCash for my personal finances for about a year now. I
> now need to keep track of a balance to three decimal places instead of
> two for one particular account. "No problem," I thought. "I remember
> seeing where I can set the precision in the account settings."
>
>   Unfortunately, when I tried it, I find that, while the display gives me
> three places to the right of the decimal, all the numbers are still
> rounded to two places. When I enter 106.256 as a debit to the account,
> the program changes the number to 106.26. At first, I thought this was
> being caused by the parent accounts using a different precision, so I
> changed the precision of all the accounts above this particular account.
> No joy. Then I thought it was because the corresponding expense account
> needed to be set to the same precision, so I changed one expense account
> and its parent to use three decimal places. Still no joy.
>
>   I also found
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-help/set-prefs.html which
> showed a preference setting for the number decimal places. I have
> changed that number to 3, but I still can't get the program to actually
> use three places to the right of the decimal. Finally, I found a
> discussion somewhat related to this, but it involves using a stock
> account rather than a simple currency account. I don't really want to
> have to deal with exchange rates and stock prices to do this.
>
>   So, how do I get an account to actually use the full precision assigned
> to it? I'm using GnuCash 2.6.5 on MacOS X 10.10.5.
>
> Thanks,
> John

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745