Rounding

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Tue Sep 15 15:41:39 EDT 2015

Hi All,
  I've been using GnuCash for my personal finances for about a year now. I now need to keep track of a balance to three decimal places instead of two for one particular account. "No problem," I thought. "I remember seeing where I can set the precision in the account settings."

  Unfortunately, when I tried it, I find that, while the display gives me three places to the right of the decimal, all the numbers are still rounded to two places. When I enter 106.256 as a debit to the account, the program changes the number to 106.26. At first, I thought this was being caused by the parent accounts using a different precision, so I changed the precision of all the accounts above this particular account. No joy. Then I thought it was because the corresponding expense account needed to be set to the same precision, so I changed one expense account and its parent to use three decimal places. Still no joy.

  I also found http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-help/set-prefs.html which showed a preference setting for the number decimal places. I have changed that number to 3, but I still can't get the program to actually use three places to the right of the decimal. Finally, I found a discussion somewhat related to this, but it involves using a stock account rather than a simple currency account. I don't really want to have to deal with exchange rates and stock prices to do this.

  So, how do I get an account to actually use the full precision assigned to it? I'm using GnuCash 2.6.5 on MacOS X 10.10.5.

Thanks,
John