Getting Gnucash to open correct file on start up

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 11:52:22 EDT 2015

On 17 September 2015 at 16:06, Richard Barmann <dick at stripingthetown.com> wrote:
> I still have a problem when I open Gnucash. I have to go to the file of
> Business Gnucash and search for the latest file to open. I think I am saving
> and closing wrong. I have a large file of gnucash which includes log files.
> I then have to open several gnucash files until I find the latest one.
> Could someone give me a step by step to close gnucash so that when I open it
> it will automatically open with the correct file. Also can I delete the old
> files in this folder? I am using gnucash 2.6.6. in Kubuntu 15.10

Normally the file you want will have the name that you originally
saved the file as, which will not have the long timestamp number on
the end.  If you have accidentally (or on purpose) opened one of the
ones with the timestamps however and carried on using that then click
File > Save As and save it with a meaningful name.  Then this is
always the one you want.  The ones with timestamps are the backups.
However Gnucash should automatically re-open the last file you had
open (provided you closed Gnucash by clicking the close (the cross)
button in the top corner or using File > Quit).  So the correct
procedure on closing is to save the file if necessary by clicking the
Save button then close the application using the cross or File > Quit.
Don't use File > Close then close the application otherwise you may
have to find the file again.

Colin