Getting Gnucash to open correct file on start up

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 16:47:19 EDT 2015

On 9/17/2015 10:52 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 17 September 2015 at 16:06, Richard Barmann <dick at stripingthetown.com> wrote:
>> I still have a problem when I open Gnucash. I have to go to the file of
>> Business Gnucash and search for the latest file to open. I think I am saving
>> and closing wrong. I have a large file of gnucash which includes log files.
>> I then have to open several gnucash files until I find the latest one.
>> Could someone give me a step by step to close gnucash so that when I open it
>> it will automatically open with the correct file. Also can I delete the old
>> files in this folder? I am using gnucash 2.6.6. in Kubuntu 15.10
> Normally the file you want will have the name that you originally
> saved the file as, which will not have the long timestamp number on
> the end.  If you have accidentally (or on purpose) opened one of the
> ones with the timestamps however and carried on using that then click
> File > Save As and save it with a meaningful name.  Then this is
> always the one you want.  The ones with timestamps are the backups.
> However Gnucash should automatically re-open the last file you had
> open (provided you closed Gnucash by clicking the close (the cross)
> button in the top corner or using File > Quit).  So the correct
> procedure on closing is to save the file if necessary by clicking the
> Save button then close the application using the cross or File > Quit.
> Don't use File > Close then close the application otherwise you may
> have to find the file again.
>
> Colin

Colin is correct, except I would call the symbol an 'ex' instead of a
cross, and it's location may vary depending on which desktop you are
using.  :)  I think kubuntu is close to Ubuntu, so the 'ex' may be on
the upper left if you are in the standard desktop.

I would like to add that while we normally expect the program to
automatically select the last file used, there are some times when we
want to use a file that is neither the last used nor one of those on the
recent files list under File > Open.
In that case, it may be necessary to use your favorite file manager.  I
personally dislike the default view of those programs so I switch to a
list view that shows the dates each file was saved.

David C