File access on smartphone

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 20:03:11 EDT 2015

I don't know if Johnny or Fred is confused.  GnuCash is a program that runs
on a Windows, Linux or Mac computer.  It creates and works with data files,
one data file or several if the user wants.

If you copy that data file to your Android device, you cannot do very much
with it.  As far as I know the only Android program that recognizes the
GnuCash data file format is the GnuCash Android app, which you can get from
the Google Play store.  It is still under development and is missing
several features that the GnuCash computer program has..

If you are talking about a different app the actually accesses your
Windows, Linux or Mac computer and runs the GnuCash program remotely from
your Android device, you are not accessing a file, but the GnuCash
program.  Then theGnuCash computer program is opening the data file, and
that file is not on the Android device.

I have no personal experience with remote access to the GnuCash program.  I
would be very wary of running the GnuCash program from any type of remote
terminal, as it is somewhat fragile and does not like some of the issues
that are common to remote access, such as loss of connections, to name only
one. Security is another potential problem when there are multiple
computers and multiple communication channels being used together.

David C