dropdown box only works after resizing gnucash window

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Sep 20 11:49:22 EDT 2015

> On Sep 20, 2015, at 1:04 AM, JoopBanaan <verdwaast at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> John thanks for your quick response.
> I did deinstall tortoise SVN, but it did not make a difference. However I do
> have other Python programs installed. Those a cumbersome to deinstall and
> install.
>
> So I installed GnuCash on a Win10, 64bit PC without any Python programs, (as
> far as I know). Unfortunately same result: need to resize main window to
> make mouse event effective.

I suspected as much. GnuCash doesn’t have any interactions with either SVN or Python, so it would have been strange if either were the cause of the problem.

GnuCash’s behavior on your machines is anyway puzzling given that we have lots of Windows users and I don’t recall this coming up before. Let’s try to define the scope of the problem a bit more.

First, reassure me that you’re using our GnuCash package which you downloaded from SourceForge either directly or by following a link on http://www.gnucash.org.

Next, please explain what you mean by “drop down boxes”. That phrase makes me think of the “sheets” that a MacOS X application uses in place of some dialog boxes. Gtk, the GUI Framework that GnuCash uses, doesn’t provide those.

Aside from the menus do any mouse actions work? Can you double-click on an account in the Accounts page and get a register page? Drag column separataors? Does the cursor change when you mouse over the separators in the bar with column labels? Does a tooltip show up when you hover over a toolbar button?

What about keyboard events? Do menu shortcuts work? If you quit GnuCash with a register page displayed and relaunch it can you create a new transaction from the keyboard?

What happens if you just move the GnuCash window instead of resizing it? How about switching to another application and back? Same thing, using the Windows Taskbar (at the bottom of the screen) to switch?

Regards,
John Ralls