How to automatically book recurring transactions from csv imports?

Nikolai Nowaczyk mail at nikno.de
Sat Sep 19 12:04:17 EDT 2015

Hi,

I'm using gnucash for personal accounting, which works great. But of
course it requires me to enter all my transactions every month, which is
not so great. ;) I'm basically asking if there is any way to make this
more convenient and less time consuming? Can one book transactions to
accounts automatically according to pre-defined rules?

I am aware of the fact that if one enters transactions manually, gnucash
learns to what account one probably wants to book the transaction to,
which makes it a bit better, but it's still a lot of work.

I tried downloading the transactions as a csv from my bank and import
them, but this approach seems to confuse gnucashs learning feature. :(

Since my bank puts a lot of unneccessary comments in the csv, I had to
write a small Python script anyway to clean up the csv before I was able
to import it. So I extended this script a bit to also add the source and
target acount for every transaction. It computes this from the other
features of the transactions, which is easy, because most of my
transactions are almost the same every month - stuff like rent,
electricity, groceries etc. But unfortunately, the csv import of gnucash
does not support importing source and target account of a transaction
while the qif import does?

So, I ended up extending this script to also convert the resulting data
to qif. The code is available here

https://github.com/niknow/BankCSVtoQif

and currently supports Deutsche Bank and Lloyds. I'm basically just
wondering, if this is the way to go, or if there is some better solution
out there to automatically book imported transactions to accounts
according to pre-defined rules? How do people practically use gnucash
who have thousands of transactions every month (for instance if you are
a company)?

Best regards
Nikolai