How to automatically book recurring transactions from csv imports?

Wm... tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 19 20:41:04 EDT 2015

Sat, 19 Sep 2015 17:04:17 <55FD8781.3070308 at nikno.de>
Nikolai Nowaczyk <mail at nikno.de> wrote...

>Hi,
>
>I'm using gnucash for personal accounting, which works great. But of
>course it requires me to enter all my transactions every month, which is
>not so great. ;) I'm basically asking if there is any way to make this
>more convenient and less time consuming? Can one book transactions to
>accounts automatically according to pre-defined rules?
>
>I am aware of the fact that if one enters transactions manually, gnucash
>learns to what account one probably wants to book the transaction to,
>which makes it a bit better, but it's still a lot of work.
>
>I tried downloading the transactions as a csv from my bank and import
>them, but this approach seems to confuse gnucashs learning feature. :(
>
>Since my bank puts a lot of unneccessary comments in the csv, I had to
>write a small Python script anyway to clean up the csv before I was able
>to import it. So I extended this script a bit to also add the source and
>target acount for every transaction. It computes this from the other
>features of the transactions, which is easy, because most of my
>transactions are almost the same every month - stuff like rent,
>electricity, groceries etc. But unfortunately, the csv import of gnucash
>does not support importing source and target account of a transaction
>while the qif import does?
>
>So, I ended up extending this script to also convert the resulting data
>to qif. The code is available here
>
>https://github.com/niknow/BankCSVtoQif
>
>and currently supports Deutsche Bank and Lloyds. I'm basically just
>wondering, if this is the way to go, or if there is some better solution
>out there to automatically book imported transactions to accounts
>according to pre-defined rules? How do people practically use gnucash
>who have thousands of transactions every month (for instance if you are
>a company)?

For companies they will generate the transaction themselves, the info
from the bank is just for confirmation, i.e. reconciliation.

I do the same for my home accounts, all regular transactions are
generated by gnc's scheduled transactions so I don't *need* to import
the bank's sometimes out of date info [1]

[1] I have a very good bank but sometimes a transaction that occurred on
a Friday will appear on a Tuesday if there is a holiday.

--
Wm...