remembering corresponding expense account when importing credit card transactions

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Sep 29 11:54:32 EDT 2015

> On Sep 26, 2015, at 12:12 PM, Mark Ito <markito3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My bank (Chase) stopped offering QIF-formatted downloads of transactions on
> my credit card. I have been using this format for years to import into
> GnuCash. One great feature is that GC remembers that which expense accounts
> to use for transactions from familiar vendors. The correspondence is made
> at import time.
>
> I just tried a QFX-formatted download and could not figure out if or how or
> one can do the same vendor-remembering trick. Can I? If so, how?

Use File>Import>Import OFX/QFX…
The catch is that it uses different matching tables from QIF so you’ll have to train it again. That works best if you do several small downloads rather than one big one, where “small” means “contains no more than one instance of a particular description”.

Regards,
John Ralls