Importing into stock type gnucash accounts...

Allan allanhasmail at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 21:25:21 EDT 2015

On 09/29/2015 08:06 PM, David T. wrote:
> Unfortunately, the CSV importer doesn’t support both sides of a
> transaction. See:
> http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2014-August/055921.html and
> http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2014-September/055970.html for
> a recent discussion. There *are* numerous utilities to convert CSV
> files to QIF, which will preserve the second account. There are recent
> discussions on this list about some of them.

Yes, I've been using CALC2QIF which is a GC savior!!! And I used it to
import seom BUY tx successfully.

> I’ll note that you probably won’t be importing dividend income into a
> stock account, since the stock account is by definition denominated in
> shares of stock. (of course, your example might be indicating a stock
> dividend, in which case I commend you on receiving $7700 from your
> investment, and then I’d shut up!)

Not so fast, lol. That was a $54 cash dividend, not reinvested shares
on, lol, some 5000 shares anyway. :-)

I read up on this: In order for cash income to correctly contribute to
the total return, I put the dividend into the stock account. And it
seems to work. So I want to do it this way.

Allan