Scout Troop Dues Structure

Joshua Sanders joshuamichaelsanders at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 03:42:31 EDT 2016

My son's scout troop is trying to adopt GNUcash to keep track of their books.
I'm having trouble figuring out how to get some of the basic chart of
accounts setup to track dues. I have the following for my accounts. These
accounts are basically self explanatory but the 2100 account is setup as a
liability account. We hold $$$ in trust for boys and then use those funds as
membership assessments are....assessed, camp fees are demanded, etc.

1010 - Checking Account
1100 - Accounts Receivable
2100 - Scout Account - Nick
4010 - Individual contributions

I was running through paying dues for this kid and came up with the
following steps.
1. Kid's parents turn in check for $25 to put $$$ in scout account.
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4684073/Snap_2016-04-02_at_01.png>
2. Treasurer creates an invoice and posts it for Membership Assessment.
Assessment is $24 (parent overpaid by $1). Income account is Scout Account
and Posted Account is A/R
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4684073/Snap_2016-04-02_at_01.png>
3. Treasurer then proceeds to immediately pay for invoice by processing
payment. Payment is $24. Transfer account is Checking Account and Post to
Account is A/R.

Did I do that right? Net Assets are showing $25.
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4684073/Snap_2016-04-02_at_01.png>

Shouldn't it be $23 because I have $24 in my checking account and $1 that
I'm holding for the scout that can't be spent?
Joshua