Finance::Quote troubles?

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 07:09:30 EDT 2016

On 2 April 2016 at 04:32, farleykj <farleykj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Running Gnucash 2.6.12
> Mac OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5
>
> I was able to obtain quotes yesterday, but today am getting the dreaded list
> of all securities I'm asking for and the message "Unable to retrieve quotes
> for these items".
>
> Executing the command line inquiry
>
>>perl -MFinance::Quote -e 'print $Finance::Quote::VERSION'
>
> gets 1.35
>
> I know Finance::Quote is currently at 1.38, and attempted to update with
> gnc-fq-update, but it didn't work. The last message I get is "Could not
> fetch authors/01mailrc.txt.gz", whatever that has to do with anything.

For the future, whenever anything internet related suddenly gives
problems and you are not aware that anything has changed it is always
best to wait a while (maybe even a day or two) to see if it recovers
by itself.  The danger if you start messing with settings or
re-installing stuff is that you will in fact mess something up so when
whatever was actually causing the problem recovers (something to do
with the ISP or internet connection or whatever) that the changes you
have made cause a different problem and it still doesn't work.

Colin