Scout Troop Dues Structure

Joshua Sanders joshuamichaelsanders at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 00:16:13 EDT 2016

Adrien and others,
    Thanks for the replies and holding my hand in my sleep deprived state.
Sorry for the confusion about the screen shots. Apparently 20 years working
in IT has left me completely unable to post more than one picture to a user
forum. I'll post just one image to this reply that shows my chart of
accounts. I'll leave the rest to text.
    I agree my net assets should show $24 but they don't currently show that
in GNUcash

My first transaction is the kid's parents turning in a check for $25 to the
troop.
Dr. Liabilities:Scout Account - Nick $25
   Cr.  Revenue:4010 - Individual contributions $25
(This first transaction should show that I have a negative Net Assets and
yet at the bottom of the screen it says Net Assets: $25)

My second transaction is the posting of the invoice for the membership
assessment of $24
Dr. Asset:1100 - A/R $24
   Cr.   Liabilities:Scout Account - Nick $24

My third transaction pays the invoice and generates the following after I
pay through the invoicing system.
Dr. Asset:1010 - Checking Account $24
   Cr.  Asset:1100 - A/R $24

This leaves me with $24 in my Assets:1010 - checking account and $(1.00) in
Liabilities:Scout Account - Nick. That means there is $25 in my bank account
but my net assets should be $24 since I've got $1 in reserve for later dues,
camps, whatever. GNUcash however is showing my Net Assets as $25.
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4684101/Snap_2016-04-03_at_21.png>