How to accommodate my own house construction costs in gnucash accounts?

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Wed Apr 6 10:13:09 EDT 2016

On 4/6/2016 9:21 AM, Dorel Ciornei wrote:
> I understand and agree with Mike Novack's point on the value of the house.
> There is one more instance though in which your house market value may
> be important: your property taxes and insurance.
> In my case, they will not consider the 'cost' of the house, but the
> current market value.
> Nevertheless, dealing with that is outside GNU Cash as far as I can tell.
> Cheers!
> Dorel

Not a gnucash problem. The fact that your local jurisdiction sets an
assessed value on your property for tax purposes has nothing to do with
the (actual) market value of the property even if you were wanting to
keep books on a "marked to market" basis. That is true even if your
jurisdiction is supposed to be using "actual market value" << how they
are choosing to figure that and how you would choose to figure that
might not be the same >>

Michael D Novack