Importing data from GnuCash files

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Wed Apr 6 17:47:06 EDT 2016

On 4/6/2016 1:20 PM, Steve Collins wrote:
> I have not changed any of the names of the files in the backup, so if I
> just copy all of those folders over into the newly installed GnuCash
> folders that were set up when I re-installed the program, will that link
> everything?  I am definitely not an accountant, so I was not using the
> program to its fullest extent in the first place, but I did have invoices
> set up, a few customized reports, etc.  Obviously the most important thing
> for me is the data, but it would really help if I did not have to go back
> through and set up the entire program again........
>
> Thank you for your help!

Steve, what you are asking isn't just a gnucash question but a more
general recovery from backup question.

First -- you had a disk crash. Are you now back under the SAME operating
system (things would go to exactly the same place) or a different
operating system (might have a slightly, or even very, different place).

If the SAME operating system, you simply copy the backup data back to
where it was in the old file system. Probably you would easily have
EVERYTHING as it was with little effort. If a different operating
system, especially if one totally new to you, the best approach might be
to see where gnucash wants to put things (data, saved preferences, etc.)
in this new system and copy corresponding things from backup to these
new locations.

The first time you open gnucash don't be surprised if you have to tell
it (using file => open) what you want gnucash to open. That will
definitely be true if now  in a new location.

Michael

PS: This isn't just you gnucash data. You have the same problem with all
of your data.