how to automatically update equity account as each transaction is entered?

Francis Gerund ranrund at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 21:23:34 EDT 2016

Hello!

Yes, I am aware that this issue has come up before, but it really bothers
me, so . . .

Start with this:

Assets:       $0.00
Liabilities:  $0.00
Equity:       $0.00
Income:       $0.00
Expenses:     $0.00

Now, you find $1.00. So now,

Assets:       $1.00
Liabilities:  $0.00
Equity:       $1.00
Income:       $0.00
Expenses:     $0.00

Right?
WRONG - according to GnuCash 2.6.12 !!  It stubbornly shows:

Assets:       $1.00
Liabilities:  $0.00
Equity:       $0.00
Income:       $0.00
Expenses:     $0.00

To me, Equity has always been (and always will be) simply the calculated
result of
"Assets - Liabilities = Equity".
That is, "Equity" is just another name for "Net Worth".

I don't want to have to look up a balance sheet report just to check the
Equity amount.
After all, the Equity is (literally) the bottom line, and as they say, "the
bottom line IS the bottom line".
I don't have to do that to get the Asset amount, so why should I have to do
so to get the Equity amount?

So, is there a way to AUTOMATICALLY get GnuCash to show the Equity amount
in the "Accounts" window (or tab),
up to date after each transaction is entered?

Thank you for any information on this!