Database PGSQL vs XML from Digest, Vol 157, Issue 20

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 03:12:00 EDT 2016

On 14 April 2016 at 01:14, John Angelico <talldad at kepl.com.au> wrote:
> Pardon me gentlemen, but are not the two parts of this reply in conflict?

No, though I see a possible ambiguity.

> First, "As Colin already writes" the database backend will write each change
> immediately, not at the end of the session.
>
> Then "the other part of Colin's reply is also correct" gnucash reads the
> entire database into memory, and works there until the end of the session,
> leading to the risk of data conflicts and corruption.

Gnucash does work in memory *and* it writes out changes to the db as
they are entered.  The working is still in memory.  The key point is
that it does not see any changes made by other users (if that were
allowed), which could mean that the changes it later writes back could
make the db inconsistent.

> Is there already a difference between the file handling under XML vs SQL?

Yes, as described, when it comes to the saving algorithm

Colin