Paypal transaction split confusion

trythis grahamlane at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 16:58:18 EDT 2016

That helped!
Now I need to figure out how this works with an invoice.
I am trying to keep track of supporters so I am using the invoicing system
after the transactions happened since I am recording 2015's books (last
year) I already know that at least one contributor (or "customer" as per
gnucash business system) has a recurring donation of $5 which results in
$4.59 per month as previously described.  I want the payment to credit:
'Income:program: X' (It could be 'Asset:restricted: X') minus the paypal
fee.  Can that be done on the invoice?  What I tried so far:

I made an invoice for 12 items at $5 each and apply a payment for each
paypal transaction but since part of the money is lost to paypal fees the
invoice will not be completely paid, so not sure how to handle that.
If the donor wanted a receipt it would show an incomplete payment which
isn't true, and I think we have to show any fees that reduce the donation,
not sure.

Do I need to make a single invoice for each $5 donation (or should it be
$4.59) and it either case how do I provide a correct receipt?

THanks

Derek Atkins-3 wrote