Paypal transaction split confusion

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 11:18:41 EDT 2016

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 06:09:22 -0700 (PDT), in
gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user, trythis <grahamlane at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to make my paypal income work with the transaction fees is one
> transaction with a split.  I am doing books for a no profit so the fees need
> to be subtracted connected to the donations, at least I think so, I am not a
> pro.
>
> Assets:Paypal [Increase $5.00]
> Income:event [decrease $4.59]
> expense:bank fees [decrease $0.41]
>
> The balance for paypal is still $5.00 because its not deducting $0.41 from
> the paypal account, obviously.
>
> How do I do this without creating a separate transaction for each fee?

It isn't clear to me what has actually happened here.

If you have 5 in your paypal account then that that may be made up of
Income:Event  4.59
plus
Income:BankFees .41

You say you are a non-profit, have the bank fees actually been paid by the
person making the donation?  If so the BankFees are Income (an Expense you
didn't have to pay) for your org.  The bank fees are an Expense of the the
donor and Income for PayPal really, you're just recording it.

The actual transaction between you and the donor is probably more like

Assets:Donations Increase 4.59 a LHS Dr
Income:Donations Increase 4.59 a RHS Cr
Income:someone paid paypal .41 a RHS Cr
Expense:why am I recording this? probably because of someone else's tax
return .41 a LHS Dr

Does that make it more or less clear? :)

Let us know if I have misunderstood, but I *think* your confusion is who is
paying the PayPal fee and whether it is of benefit to you and your org or
not

--
Wm