Paypal transaction split confusion

trythis grahamlane at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 23:30:41 EDT 2016

Dean Gibson-3 wrote
> Part of the problem is that PayPal has the worst representation of a
> transaction log that the world has ever seen.  For years there have been
> complaints, and PayPal has ignored all requests to make it anything even
> REMOTELY resembling a reasonable ledger.
>
> On 2016-04-16 16:22, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> No, he has $4.59.  I use PayPal.  When someone sends in $5 my paypal
>> account balance does not increase by $5

I agree with that, although CSV downloads cover everything, they are 30
columns wide and have some really useless junk piled in.

I think I have it figured out>

IN the paypal account the split reads:

Assets:paypal 4.59 increase
Expenses:bankfees* 0.41 increase
temp account**: 5.00 decrease

Then I apply the payment to an invoice, and this is what solved the problem;
you can change the amount paid when selecting the customer and accounts
payable account.  I changed it to $5.00 and poof, invoice works right,
accounts payable works.

The account Income:project:X increases $5.00, paypal account is increased by
$4.59, and bank fees are increased by 0.41.  I can put the bank fees in a
sub account like Expenses:bank fees:project:X or Expenses:Project:X:bank
fees  Either way is useful for reports.

*the goes to imbalance and I have to return it to a bank fee after
processing the payment.
**This gets rewritten anyway  and converts to accounts receivable through
the invoice system then the income account increases from accounts
receivable.

This is a very complicated way to show that we received $5 but I can't see
anyway better.

Thanks