How do I create an Expense sub-account?

ph hermes phsfca.hermes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 12:38:02 EDT 2016

here's a basic question.

when you transfer money from your wallet (your account) to your kid's
account is it still your money or does it belong to your kid?

the reason i ask is for my sole proprietor business i transfer assets from
time to time but it's still all my money. so i can transfer asset money
from personal ckecking to business checking etc. al within asset section.

if, however, i transfer money to my sister, that money is gone and no
longer an asset and i don't control it. i might not ever get it back or
have use of it again.

so, if your kid's money is really your kid's money it needs to not be your
asset after you've paid their allowance.

so, in expenses, where your kid's allowance would go, you could set up
several expense accounts (i do this with dividends in an income account...
when the money comes in it's in dividend account, when it's cash it then
gets transferred into sweep account, if it's reinvested it goes back into
brokerage account).

parent expense account: Kid allowance
child account: money in allowance
childe account: money out (spending) allowance

and then you create reports for just those expense accounts. but it's an
expense to you no matter if he spends the money or not.

make sense?

        ph

writer ~:~ photographer ~:~ book designer
resident manager
paulahendricks.com