IMBALANCE AND ORPHAN ACCOUNT

Dave H hellvee at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 17:46:55 EDT 2016

Anne,

Can I suggest you bookmark the GnuCash FAQ,  Help and Tutorial Guides below.

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ
http://gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?doc=help
http://gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?doc=guide

In the case of Account starting balances you can use the Equity:Opening
Balance as suggested in the online HELP - "Equity accounts are used to
store the opening balances when you first start using *GnuCash* or start a
new accounting period."  Section 5.1 of the Onlne HELP has an explanation
of the various types of accounts in GnuCash.

Reconciliation won't be an issue as you will presumably be reconciling your
bank accounts against a bank statment and not the Equity account.

Cheers Dave H.