How do I create an Expense sub-account?

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 07:01:48 EDT 2016

In article <3177829.xAqeKoqjjn at calufrax.nottingham.standbyevents.co.uk>
"Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 20 April 2016 07:59:05 BST Larry Evans wrote:
>
> > Maf, I tried creating a Equity account called Parent1.  Then I tried to
> > create a subaccount to that one, but GC only let the subaccount be
> > another Equity account.  IOW it wouldn't allow Asset or Liability or
> > Income or Expense as the type of the subaccount of Parent1.
> >
> > :(
>
> Ah, just a dim memory, sorry for the noise.

It can work from an acounting POV in that all the accounts under
equity are just T-accounts in effect and Income and Expenses are a
kind of Equity account anyway.  So if you have small
unconventionally nested account structures Equity is the place to
put them.  Anything more substantial and you probably wouldn't
bother as you don't have the convenience of GnuCash knowing about
an accounts special treatment for reporting.

--
Wm