Help with transactions for sale of stock

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 09:36:24 EDT 2016

David C.,

While your comments are true in general, I have found in recent experiments that the Scrub Lots feature can provide accurate gains data, and at the least provide a good point from which to build.

The situation I have found that results in accurate gains being entered is if there is a sale of an entire mutual fund holding for which there is no commission charged. In this situation, the result is a gain transaction that matches my brokerage statement on gains.

I have hesitated to try the feature on more complex situations (e.g., stocks which have multiple lots, stocks which have changed their basis due to splits or spinoffs, etc.), since I receive gains information from my brokerage. It is easier overall for me to manually enter the gains information based on what the brokerage experts tell me, so that’s what I do.

Cheers,
David T.