How do I create an Expense sub-account?

Larry Evans cppljevans at suddenlink.net
Thu Apr 28 09:23:10 EDT 2016

On 04/28/2016 12:17 AM, DaveC49 wrote:
> Just an additional comment. I tested creating a top level entity type
> account. Unfortunately there is no account type of entity available as a
> placeholder and if you create it as an asset account the child accounts are
> limited in the type they can be.

A conclusion put another way in this post:

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/How-do-I-create-an-Expense-sub-account-tp4684363p4684371.html

> This indicates it is unlikely that top
> level entities have been envisaged by the developers and any entity labelled
> accounts would appear to have to be created under the top level Asset,
> Liabilty, Equity, Income and Expense type accounts as discussed in my

The following post:

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/How-do-I-create-an-Expense-sub-account-tp4684363p4684474.html

provides a link to an example gnucash file having only Equity accounts.
Those accounts have names for subaccounts composed of @Type<@Name where
@Type is either Income, Asset, or Expense, and @Name is just an normal
gnucash account name.  The reason for the @Type prefix in the name is
just to help keep straight the role of the accounts.  If you look
at the gnucash file, you can see some difficulties with this setup.
For example, each Income<@Name account has to have a separate top-level
Entity account where money comes from.  Also, Wm mentioned in the post
to which I was replying, reporting would be inconvenient.

-regards,
Larry