Question about backing up Gnucash files and installing on new laptop

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Thu Apr 28 16:54:25 EDT 2016

On 4/28/2016 3:40 PM, dan.hartzler at juno.com wrote:
> First post here, so forgive me if I do something wrong and feel free to correct any errors............. The last time I backed up my Gnucash on the Thinkpad, the next time I launched Guncash, it prompted me to insert the flash drive. In other words, Guncash loaded from the flash drive, not the hard drive, after my backup. Somehow I fixed this, but now that I'm using a new laptop, I want to make sure that Gnucash files are installed on the hard drive, and that the program launches only from the hard drive.  Any help would be appreciated. Dan Hartzler
  You are confusing two things. By default (you can tell it not to by
running "no file") gnucash remembers the last set of books you had open
and if you just start gnucash will attempt to open that file. You had
probably copied that file from the flash drive to the hard drive on the
new machine but had never opened it there and the last you had open was
probably the one on that flash drive, yes? (that would depend on HOW you
got it to the flash drive).

There can be several LOGICAL versions of a set of books (say you just
made two copies, one for on-site backup and one for remotely kept
backup) but only one of these would be the physical file last used by
gnucash.

Just tell gnucash to open the file on the hard drive of the new machine,
and next time that would  be the "last used"

For those of us who are keeping multiple sets of books this sort of
thing comes second nature as we are always having to tell gnucash which
books we want to work on (only sometimes the same as last time). Less
obvious for those of us only keeping one set of books so just click on
the gnucash icon and take what comes up.

Michael