Multiple Company Setup Question

Don Ireland gnucash at donireland.com
Fri Apr 29 20:01:07 EDT 2016

Hi All.  I'm trying to find and accounting solution for my real estate
investing business and could use some advice.

For asset protection purposes, each rental property is wholly owned by
an LLC.  Each LLC is wholly owned by my Solo 401(k) trust (the trust is
the single member of each LLC).  I am the trustee for the Trust and the
manager for each LLC.

I need to document all transactions for property a separately from those
for property b and so on.

If I were to use Quickbooks, I'd use a separate company file.  Whats the
best method with gnuCash?  Assuming that I'd use a separate file for
each company, is there a way for the parent company to automatically
show the child companies as assets?  Since gnuCash "knows" the value of
each companys' assets and liabilities, I think one could say that it
"knows" the value of each company.

--
Don Ireland